Sector File Weirdness

General discussion about vZME, VATUSA, and VATSIM

Sector File Weirdness

Postby Paul B. (810078) » Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 pm

zme_sector_screenshot.png
zme_sector_screenshot.png (151.49 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
This is mainly for Richard Sill but if anyone knows about this issue and how to solve it by all means please respond.

I'm currently using about an 8 year old Lenovo thinkpad laptop as my more powerful desktop computer suffered heat stroke and basically died. So while I slowly buy the parts to build a new machine I'm forced to use this laptop.

One issue I have with the laptop is that it has issues with VRC. If I start VRC directly without tinkering with my hardware there are vital text areas in VRC that don't show up, such as the F2 weather button labels. So I found out that if I disable the onboard video graphics chip, start VRC, then re-enable the graphics chip again everything works fine. Or at least it did till I started using the ZME sector file.

I've attached a screenshot of my VRC screen. As you can see many of the text labels on the screen are incomplete or have garbage characters or miscellaneous letters in front of them. This wasn't happening with the sector files from ZNY or ZOA and I seem to remember that even an older version of the ZME sector file didn't have this problem (I think I found it on AVSIM a while back).

It's not the end of the world. I can figure out where the airports are. But it does make it harder to learn the VORs since the 3 letter identifiers are messed up on the screen.

Thanks for any help anyone can lend.
Paul Biderman
ZME C3 / Mentor

Paul B. (810078)

Re: Sector File Weirdness

Postby Richard S. (843986) » Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Paul,

The sector files contain ASCII characters only so it is highly unlikely that it is a direct cause of your problem.

This link may help you resolve your problem:

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=31751

The most common problems running VRC appear to be with chipset and display drivers on laptops/notebooks.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Richard S. (843986)

Postby Paul B. (810078) » Sat May 04, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks Richard. It doesn't make sense to me either. Other .sct2 files work find but for whatever reason this one looks like it looks. I can live with it once I learn the airspace. I'll be done with this laptop eventually so I won't have to worry about it for much longer.
Paul Biderman
ZME C3 / Mentor

Paul B. (810078)

Postby Richard S. (843986) » Sat May 04, 2013 8:33 am

Paul,

Why don't you try Euroscope on your laptop and see if you have similar display problems with the ZME sector file? Everything you need is on the ZME site.

Richard
Richard S. (843986)

Postby Paul B. (810078) » Sat May 04, 2013 12:01 pm

That's a good idea. I'll check it out. I'd also like to learn vStars but since it's made the same developers as VRC it wouldn't surprise me if it has the same issue.

I did figure out what was causing the text corruption. When I disable the onboard video chip before starting VRC, as I have to do in order to view all text on the radar screen, it corrupts the ascii text output and it stays corrupt even after re-enabling the video chip. So my choices are to keep the chip enabled and have missing text, or disable the chip temporarily and have some corrupted text. And yes, it's now doing this on all my sector files, even after a reinstallation of my video chip drivers.
Paul Biderman
ZME C3 / Mentor

Paul B. (810078)

Return to General Discussion